Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Hole In Our Gospel

Do not read this book if you want to stay comfortable and in a bubble of the status quo. This is a disturbing book, yet it is one that should be required for every comfortable person who calls themselves a Christian. At some point while you are reading this book you must make a decision to ignore what it is saying, or make a change in your life. If you choose the latter, the song, "The Motions" by Matthew West comes to mind. Specifically the words "This might hurt/ It's not safe/ But I know that I've gotta make a change/ I don't care if I break/ At least I'l be feeling something/ 'Cause just ok is not enough/ Help me fight through the nothingness of life..."

This is a well written and compelling book, expanding on what God requires of us as laid out in Micah 6:8 "He has showed you, O man, what is good, and what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."
Yet, on the downside, it could be cynically viewed as a book length appeal for donors to World Vision.
I would say that it is meant more as a call to action for Christians to be what we are supposed to be, and that is salt and light, the hands and feet of Christ.
I have made my decision, what is yours?
God has been using this book to speak to me, what might He say to you? Are you willing to find out? Are you willing to use what God has gifted you to do for His Kingdom?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for commenting on Rich Stearns’ new book, The Hole in Our Gospel. To find out more information about the book and Stearns, you can visit www.theholeinourgospel.com. You’ll find on this site a lot of great resources and supplemental material to the book. You can also read Rich’s blog and engage in a forum discussion there. It’s a fantastic site – I encourage you to check it out!

    ReplyDelete